FAQ's on Background Checks
Will there be a cost to me for background checks this year?
THERE IS NO COST TO YOU IN THIS VERIFICATION PROCESS IF YOU HAVE LIVED IN PENNSYLVANIA FOR THE LAST 10 CONSECUTIVE YEARS.
If you have not lived in PA the last 10 years, there is a $27 charge you must pay to get a FBI fingerprint verification completed–all other steps are free to you.
Why is the background process so much more involved this year compared to prior years?
Due to recent Pennsylvania law changes, ANYONE who would like to work and/or volunteer services with children needs to complete three background verification steps:
- PA State Police criminal record check
- PA child abuse check
- FBI fingerprinting check or equivalent signed affidavit (depending on if you lived in PA the last 10 consecutive years or not—see instructions below)
Little League also requires all volunteers to complete the Little League Volunteer Application, which is the form that prior GABSA volunteer are familiar with.
The combination of Pennsylvania and Little League requirements requires Little League volunteers in PA to complete 4 background steps in total.
Does it take a long time to complete all of these steps?
Each step takes only 5-10 minutes to complete
How long does it take to get the results?
Lead time to receive results varies per step from a couple days to a couple weeks, so please get started ASAP if you would like to volunteer.
Due to new Pennsylvania law changes this year, ANYONE who would like to volunteer within the GABSA organization this 2017 season will need to complete a 4-step background verification process. Each of these 4 steps can be completed by you in 5-10 minutes each, however it’s possible one or more of these items could take 1-2 weeks to have the results returned. With that in mind, the GABSA Board of Directors encourages anyone who would like to volunteer this 2017 season to begin this process as soon as possible. Items 1-3 in the list below are valid for 60 months once completed, so once we have these on file it is not required to repeat every year. Item number 4 (Little League Volunteer application) will be required for completion every year.
After getting all four of these items completed, please scan them and email all of your completed reports/forms to John Flynn at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can contact John at this email address if you have any questions about the background verification process.
If you volunteered last year and completed the below steps, you will only have to complete the 2017 Little League Volunteer application.
4 REQUIRED BACKGROUND VERIFICATION STEPS TO VOLUNTEER FOR GABSA (Note: Items 1-3 are valid for 60 months)
PA State Police Background Check – FREE
Instructions on how to complete Child Abuse Clearance free of charge – View Instructions
FBI fingerprint or signed affidavit (depending on how long you have lived in PA)
If you have lived in PA for at least the past 10 consecutive years – FREE
- Print, sign and return the (attached) affidavit
- If you have not lived in PA for at least the past 10 consecutive years – FEE $27
- You need to have FBI fingerprint check completed – Here is the Registration Link for FBI Fingerprinting
- Additional Info on FBI Fingerprint Process
- After registering using the link above, you must then visit the local fingerprinting office to have your fingerprints taken electronically.
- Franklin County location for fingerprinting is the Franklin Learning Center in Chambersburg
- Additional Info on Franklin Learning Center Here